Dr. Slouber is Associate Professor of South Asia at Western Washington University in the Department of Global Humanities and Religions. He is the author of Early Tantric Medicine: Snakebite, Mantras, and Healing in the Gāruḍa Tantras.
- Ph.D., UC Berkeley 2012 [Abstract]
- MA in Indologie, Universität Hamburg, Germany, 2011 [PDF]
- MA in South and Southeast Asian Studies, UC Berkeley 2007 [PDF]
- BA in Religious Studies (magna cum laude), UC Davis 2005
- HNRS 105: India: Politics, Passion, and Disenchantment
- REL 231: Intro to the Study of Religion
- REL 303: Theories and Methods in the Study of Religion
- REL 345: Fierce Goddesses of India
- REL 378: Religion and Society in India
- HUMA 271: Humanities of India
- HUMA 337: Cosmopolitan South India (Study Abroad)
- HUMA 421: Traditional Indian Medicine
- HUMA 437: Kathmandu at the Crossroads (Study Abroad)
- Garland of Forgotten Goddesses (edited sourcebook of goddess narratives for classroom analysis and general readership). Under contract with UC Press.
- “Ferocity and Violence in the Bhūta Tantras.” In Serbaeva, Olga. (ed.) Transgression and Encounters with the Terrible in Buddhist and Śaiva Tantras. (accepted for publication)
- Dictionary entries “Bhūta Tantra,” “Bāla Tantra,” “rakṣā,” “rasa,” “rasāyana,” “rasāyanasiddhi” in Goodall, D. and Rastelli, M. (ed.) Tāntrikābhidhānakośa IV. Wien: VÖAW (forthcoming).
- “Vulnerability and Protection in the Śaiva Tantras.” In Goodall and Filliozat (eds.) Mélanges tantriques à la mémoire d’N.R. Bhatt (forthcoming)
- Two translations in Salguero, Pierce (ed.) Buddhism and Medicine: An Anthology of Premodern Sources, Columbia University Press (2017): “The Buddha’s Past Life as a Snakebite Doctor (Visavantajātaka)” and “Tantric Medicine in a Buddhist Proto-Tantra (Mañjuśriyamūlakalpa 40)”
- Early Tantric Medicine: Snakebite, Mantras, and Healing in the Gāruḍa Tantras. New York: Oxford University Press (2017)
- Book review of Well-mannered Medicine by Dagmar Wujastyk. International Journal of Hindu Studies 21, 1: 138–139 (2017)
- “The Herbal Arsenal and Fetid Foods: The Power of Plants in Early Tantric Exorcism Rituals” in Ferrari, F. and Dahnhardt, T. Roots of Wisdom, Branches of Devotion: Plant Life in South Asian Religions and Culture. London: Equinox 145–164 (2016)
- Book review of Lord Śiva’s Song by Andrew Nicholson. International Journal of Hindu Studies 19, 3: 352–354 (2015)
- “Snakebite Goddesses in the Shakta Traditions: Roots and Incorporations of Tvaritā, Bheruṇḍā, and Kurukullā.” In Flood and Olesen (eds.) Goddesses in Tantric Hinduism: History, Doctrine, and Practice. London: Routledge (2015).
- “Carrying God: Merely a Mount or Independent Deity?” Journal of Vaishnava Studies, Vol. 21, No.1 (Fall 2012).
- “The Manuscripts of the Kriyākālaguṇottara.” NGMCP Newsletter #5 2007
Other Academic Output
- Doctoral Thesis, Gāruḍa Medicine: A History of Snakebite and Religious Healing in South Asia, 2012.
- Etext of Bhairavapadmāvatīkalpa 2012
- MA thesis, “Śaṅkuka’s Saṃhitāsāra” 2011
- Etext of Viṣavaidyasārasamuccaya 2011
- Etext of Nārāyaṇīya TSS 2009
- Etext of Kāśyapa Saṃhitā 2008
- MA thesis, “The Cult of Khaḍgarāvaṇa” 2007