Dr. Slouber is Assistant Professor of South Asia at Western Washington University. He is the author of Early Tantric Medicine: Snakebite, Mantras, and Healing in the Gāruḍa Tantras.
- Ph.D., UC Berkeley 2012 [abstract]
- MA in Indologie, Universität Hamburg, Germany, 2011 [PDF]
- MA in South and Southeast Asian Studies, UC Berkeley 2007 [PDF]
- BA in Religious Studies (magna cum laude), UC Davis 2005
- “The Herbal Arsenal and Fetid Foods: The Power of Plants in Early Tantric Exorcism Rituals” in Ferrari, F. and Dahnhardt, T. Roots of Wisdom, Branches of Devotion: Plant Life in South Asian Religions and Culture. London: Equinox (forthcoming).
- Book review of Lord Śiva’s Song by Andrew Nicholson. International Journal of Hindu Studies (forthcoming).
- Book review of Well-mannered Medicine by Dagmar Wujastyk. International Journal of Hindu Studies (forthcoming).
- Dictionary entries “Bhūta Tantra” and “Bāla Tantra” in Goodall, D. and Rastelli, M. (ed.) Tāntrikābhidhānakośa IV. Wien: VÖAW (forthcoming).
- “The Venomous Virgin: Fact or Fantasy?” in Wexler, P. (ed.) History of Toxicology: Toxicology in Antiquity. Elsevier: Waltham, MA (2014).
- “The Power of Garuda” in Winkel, K. (ed.) Venom: Fear, Fascination and Discovery. Medical History Museum, University of Melbourne (2013).
- “Carrying God: Merely a Mount or Independent Deity?” Journal of Vaishnava Studies, Vol. 21, No.1 (Fall 2012).
- “Vulnerability and Protection in the Śaiva Tantras.” In Goodall and Filliozat (eds.) Mélanges tantriques à la mémoire d’N.R. Bhatt (forthcoming).
- “Snakebite Goddesses in the Shakta Traditions: Roots and Incorporations of Tvaritā, Bheruṇḍā, and Kurukullā.” In Flood and Olesen (eds.) Shakta Traditions (forthcoming).
- “The Trotala: Edition and Translation of Tvaritāmūlasūtra 1” in Vasudeva (ed.) Śivasudhāprapāpālikā (forthcoming).
- “The Manuscripts of the Kriyākālaguṇottara.” NGMCP Newsletter #5 2007
Other Academic Output
- Doctoral Thesis, Gāruḍa Medicine: A History of Snakebite and Religious Healing in South Asia, 2012.
- Etext of Bhairavapadmāvatīkalpa 2012
- MA thesis, “Śaṅkuka’s Saṃhitāsāra” 2011
- Etext of Viṣavaidyasārasamuccaya 2011
- Etext of Nārāyaṇīya TSS 2009
- Etext of Kāśyapīya 2008
- MA thesis, “The Cult of Khaḍgarāvaṇa” 2007